Monday, June 18, 2012

raw, unedited life <---


I know, deep down, that if people DO read these stories of mine, it's because they want the raw, unedited account of my life.  Although I sit here wishing I was witty enough to start these posts with a catchy saying or inspirational thought, I'm comforted by the knowledge that that is not what you're after.  You want to know what happened in the past few days, what I'm learning, struggling with, and excited about!  So, without further adieu, or lamenting that I can't think of a clever way to begin... here's my week (and a few pictures for your enjoyment!)
[Hi'ilawe Falls]
Although it was rainy almost every afternoon, we did log a significant amount of hours in the field each morning.  Walking up and down the rows of coffee trees, carrying a five gallon tank of Round-Up on my back, I had a lot of time to talk to God.  I realized that's ALL I did, though.. talk!  Three hours in, one morning, it dawned on me that maybe I should give it a rest!  Maybe God would appreciate a little peace and quiet!  Or MAYBE He would like to do some of the talking!?  Try as I might, I could not quiet my mind, though!  It wasn't that I meant to let my brain wander and bunny trail and all of a sudden I'm obsessing about the Rolo McFlurry at McDonalds...what?!!  But I find it immensely difficult to completely clear my mind of distractions and just be still before the Lord.  That became my mission 'for the week' but, I must admit, I still have a long ways to go!  
Derek helped me in my quest for stillness without even realizing it.  We packed up our delicious dinner of fresh marlin, salad, brownies and hot chai tea, and headed off to find free wifi and watch our favorite TV show!  It was a great evening; although we probably watched one too many episodes, and by the time we got home I was ready for sleep!  However, I can't stand going to bed if there's still dirty dishes.  I'd like to let you think it's my fastidious house keeping skills at work, but the reasoning is much more selfish!  I know that I'll dream about rats all night and wake to plates and silverware crusted with gorged ants and I'd just really rather skip all that!  Anyway, there I was, scrambling around to get everything cleaned up so that I could check out for the night, and I hear Derek calling me from up the hill.  I follow the sound of his voice and finally find him and Kai, laying in the middle of the road, just watching the stars!  So, I laid down next to them, my head on Derek's chest, and took in the beauty of the night sky!  There was no need for words; aside from my exclaiming about a shooting star or Derek locating the big dipper before me, we were just 'still'!  I know that God meets us where we're at, and that He talks to us in countless ways.  But communication is a two way street and when I actually make an effort to quiet my own thoughts, step away from my own agenda and actually listen, it does make a difference!  
[one of Derek's amazing gecko shots!]
Hearing from God is absolutely invaluable to me!  He is my Sustainer, my Purpose and my Joy!!  Now that we're winding down on all our huge tasks and just working on 'maintaining' till harvest rolls around, I've been seeking God's will for our days- more than ever before.  I pray that we will find jobs/projects to keep us busy.  I pray that we can still find that sense of purpose and accomplishment even though we're not seeing the mass amounts of progress that we did at the beginning.
The great news is that with this extra time on our hands we've taken up SURFING!!  When we first got here the waves were non-existent, but they're starting to roll in more and more and we are definitely taking advantage of it!  It's been almost three years since we lived in Australia and had the opportunity to go surfing, so I haven't exactly been doing 360's or backflips!  But, I am standing up and, in my book, that's what counts :)  We were able to go to an amazing concert on Friday night and a parade downtown for King Kamehameha Day on Saturday!  Derek invested in new diving fins (he says it's his birthday present...for my birthday?! haha!  As long as I can use that excuse when his birthday rolls around, right?!) so if we're not on top of the water, we're underneath it!  I've been practicing up with the spear gun, too and I feel like my first kill is right around the corner!  I like to say that I'm just holding off because our freezer is already full!!  But it is truly amazing to see how much of our meals actually consist of free food; meat that Derek killed, vegetables from the garden, fruit from friends (I'll spare you the details of how many mangos are sitting on our counter right now, lest you become envious!)  God has blessed us and provided for us beyond anything we could've imagined!! 
[sunset at Ho'okena Beach]
There's a tie for highlight of the week::  It's either the two little boys at the beach that wanted me to go fishing with them and kept bringing me handfuls of plumerias!!  Or our new and improved sweet potato haupia pie made with a graham cracker crust!!  I'm telling you, folks, it's the little things in life.. they must be savored :)  Beyond that, I challenge you to quiet yourself and 'be still', do whatever it takes to be in the position where you can actually hear God when He speaks!  And have a beautiful week!!  

3 comments:

  1. As always a great blog. It is so neat how you and Derek are able to spend your days together and are really getting to know each other better and better. All you activities sound exciting and fun and sounds like you are eating really well. PTL How is Kai doing? Saw the cute picture of him after his first run. :) Does he go with you every day? I walked right at 4 miles today. Yeah!!! It was misty when I went out, so I had on one of Abe's stocking hats, a light jacket and sweat pants and off I went. After I got about a block away I realized that I'd forgotten my iPod so didn't get to listen to my Spanish lessons. On Sunday, on the way to church with Grandma Dee we saw an accident up ahead and lots of smoke...so Dad jumped out and got his fire extinguisher and ran over. We pulled over and I went to check on the other vehicle. They had moved the van out of the intersection. When I got to the car...they only spoke Spanish...so I got to say: Esta bien? and then he began to chatter away...I had to tell him I didn't speak that much. But it was fun, Wayne said the other car was all Spanish speaking too, but another man was interpreting...but Dad said he got to speak a little too. Everything was under control, so we went to church. :) I still love the Spanish language...and maybe if I keep listening to my iPod it will get clearer and clearer. Enough...great blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. love you, TOOOOO, my friend :)) Thanks for always being such an encouragement!!

      Delete