Monday, July 16, 2012

rain, spam & BIG prayers >>

It's 5:55am and we're waking up; birds are chirping and the sun attempts to burn through rain clouds.  When you live in the jungle you wake up with the sun; like it or not.  Slip on my flip flops, but I might as well be barefoot; the grass is heavy with dew and my toes are squeaky against the rubber as Kai and I return from the 'bathroom'.  Wipe the sleep out of my eyes and start the coffee.  Derek makes the better brew; it's an unsaid truth, but mine's not too bad and I'm usually the first one in the 'kitchen'.  We had Amish Oatmeal yesterday so breakfast is easy today, just pop the leftovers in the toaster oven to heat up.  Then I start on a sack lunch because Derek is working elsewhere today.  Two sandwiches- one ham and pepper-jack, one peanut butter and jelly (extra peanut butter!).  You're wondering where Derek is at this point?!  He's made his way down to the fields with Kai, they have some investigative work to do.  After finding evidence of pig activity the last few mornings, Derek has designed a new snare.  The commotion we heard last night is proof of success, and he's off to verify the results.  Unfortunately, it's not the hefty, momma boar Derek was hoping for; just a scrawny little thing.  Wrong place at the wrong time, I suppose.  Derek deemed the pig 'too much work for not enough meat' and is now attempting to free her.  Kai is curious but cautious.  The pig is growling, snorting and ready for a fight; making Derek's task anything but simple.  Needless to say, my coffee pouring has been interrupted and I'm taking in the scene, doing my best to muffle my laughter!  In the end, she wouldn't settle for anything but a fight and a bullet to the head puts her out of her misery, makes for one less baby making boar in the jungle AND allows us to get on with our day.  (Now we just have to figure out the disposal of said baby maker.) 
[our baby corn!!]
The men at church are coming to realize Derek's full potential and finding more and more ways to utilize his muscle, knowledge and free time!  We are very grateful!  That leaves me with time for the cleaning jobs I've been blessed with as well as some errand running, quality time with the 'Auntie and Uncle' at the laundromat and... my favorite, more weed wacking!!  It's really not that bad and I shouldn't complain, it just wears on you.  My shoulders know that harness all too well!!  BUT we've started 'praying big', knowing that nothing is impossible for our God.. not even a 4WD, riding lawn mower!  James 4:2 says 'You do not have because you do not ask God.'  Simple as that!!  Now, I realize that He answers prayers in various ways, and we might ask for a lawn mower but be given the endurance to keep on weed wacking.  We might not always see the outcome we desire, but there's no doubt in my mind that God uses EVERY circumstance for good and to mold us into who He created us to be.  So, what harm is there in asking!?  And as long as you're asking.. ask BIG!  We are talking about the God of the universe here!!!  So, we thank Him for the roof over our heads AND we pray for a house someday!  We thank Him for the water that we can haul to our house whenever we need AND we pray that someday we will be grateful for clean drinking water out of our own faucet!
[day one! we have come SO far]
Things I've discovered about rainy season in Hawaii:: If it rains hard enough, for long enough, trees WILL start bending and even breaking and falling right in the middle of the road!  Thankfully, Derek carries a machete (and a plethora of other weapons) in the truck at all times.  He was able to hack away at the branches and we hauled bits and pieces of avocado tree off the road until we could continue on our way home.  Sometimes we fall asleep to the rain, wake up to the rain, eat lunch in the rain and watch a movie with headphones on because we can't hear anything over the sound of the rain!  I can go for a run in the rain, but Kai insists on stopping at every single mud puddle.  We can shower in the rain, but it's a strange phenomena; you turn the hose off and the water doesn't stop??  And, alas, you CAN weed wack in the rain, but only until your glasses fog up and your clothes have gained an extra three pounds of water weight.  Then there's the hair!  I must say, I'm mastering the 'beachy, wind tossed' look.  I'll let you in on my secret::  more exposure to sweat, salt water and humidity, significantly less showering and completely cold turkey on the hair dryer, straightener or anything that resembles hair spray or gel..  voila!
I don't have much more to report for the week.. we're just living and learning, swimming in the ocean and falling in love with our Creator!  We're praying BIG and we're excited about all that God has in store!  We're cherishing each moment of this jungle adventure and developing quite the appreciation for spam!  Yes, I did say spam... it's a staple here in Hawaii, and we're learning to love it :)
[So, I'll stand
With arms high and heart abandoned
In awe of the One who gave it all!
I'll stand
My soul Lord to You surrendered
All I am is Yours]
-Hillsong

No comments:

Post a Comment