Wednesday, October 17, 2012

-coffee-cherry-invasion-

I've been putting off this entry for several reasons.  First of all, I haven't had an enormous amount of time or energy upon returning from the fields each night.  Second, coffee picking has taken over a massive chunk of life as we know it, and that leaves little time for any other adventures to speak of.  I'm not complaining; I'm simply justifying my tardiness in writing this post!
Time spent picking in the fields actually flies by; to my complete surprise!  And the work isn't difficult, just slightly tedious.  We pick through the heat and through the rain.  Some trees will only have a few cherries to pick, other times I'll fill my entire picking basket (about 15 lbs.) from just one or two trees!  Some trees have to be de-tangled from vines and weeds before they can be picked.  Other trees are so tall (because we chose not to prune them earlier) that they start to break as we pull them down to our level.  Not only do we find coffee cherries in the truck, the washing machine and all over the apartment, but I've also started dreaming about harvesting!  See why I say they have taken over!  But I do find the cherries absolutely beautiful and can't resist taking pictures of their ripe, plumpness..
When we're not picking, we're mowing and weed wacking.  Unfortunately, the weeds don't stop growing just because it's harvest.  It's a nice reprieve, though, which also comes as a bit of a surprise.   Plowing through a thick spot of weeds or cruising down the rows on the mower is extremely gratifying and my sore muscles don't mind the change of pace, either!  Beyond life in the coffee fields, we've been tackling some projects around the church- painting, cleaning, and weed removal.  
Needless to say, taking Sunday off was essential.  Plus, Derek was losing his mind from lack of time on his surfboard!  The man's got skills, and I'm proud to be his photographer!  Although I did catch a slightly, smaller wave myself, before drying off and grabbing the camera.  I simply enjoy the water, whether it's cannon-balling into it from the rocks, snorkeling with the turtles or cooling off after a nap in the sun.  Derek is developing a slight obsession with surfing and although I lack any desire to catch the really huge waves, I am an easily contented beach bum.  Basically, I'm saying we work really well together and I'm extremely grateful for that :)
my surfer boy!
Harvest can bring out the best and the worst in a person, okay.. in me!  Sometimes I get home from eight hours in the field and still find the energy to go for a run, make dinner, do the laundry and vacuum!  Other times I come home, change into comfy clothes and immediately crash.  Hours in the field can leave me feeling exhausted and sore and/or filled with a sense of wonder at God's creation and His providence.  
Derek knows that I'm not accustomed to long days of manual labor.  He rubs my shoulders, picks me flowers and doesn't even make fun of me for falling asleep as early as 7:30!  Working 'full time' doesn't leave a lot of time for being a house wife.  I try to stay on top of things, but I will admit to leaving the sink full of dishes once or twice and resorting to pb&j's on several occasions.  The good news is, I make up for those moments with spontaneous bursts of motivation and the delectable, 'death by oreo' cupcakes :)  Thankfully, my husband never complains about 'leftover night'.  He also knows when I need to snap out of a funk or when I just need to be held really tight. 
It's not always an earth shattering revelation that reminds me of God's presence in my life, but rather His consistency throughout each day.  Jesus is my peace and my joy, regardless of the other factors in life or how many hundreds (or thousands?) of pounds of coffee have yet to be picked.  We're so thankful for this opportunity, all that we are discovering and this gorgeous island we get to live on!   We're thankful for the amazing church family He's led us to and all the ways He is blessing us through them.  God's faithfulness through every single moment makes all the difference.  Exhausted, inspired, sopping wet or covered in paint..  He is with us and He is our strength!  

No comments:

Post a Comment