Sunday, November 18, 2012

jungle festivity!

Thanksgiving is rapidly approaching, with Christmas hot on its heels!  Only problem is that, aside from a few chillier evenings, it still feels like summer in Hawaii!  Now, I'm not saying that I miss the bitter cold weather, scraping ice off my windshield and blowing on numb fingers all the way to work.  It is, however, a little more difficult to get in a 'festive' mood when it's still 80* outside.  We have been drinking eggnog and munching homemade, chocolate chip pumpkin bread; I think that's definitely helping our frame of mind!  
I've also been doing a month of thankfulness, which just means a post everyday on Facebook of what I'm thankful for.  It's truly amazing how much I have to be grateful for.  And how much I take for granted.  One thing I'm grateful for is that my 'little' brother is flying out this week and we'll get to spent Thanksgiving with him and a wonderful couple from church.  (Little brother is also going to help us pick coffee and I'm overjoyed about that, too!)
Speaking of picking, this last week was one of my favorite ones yet!  We were in a section of field that we had just weed wacked, so there was no need for machete wielding and no tripping on hidden rocks or forgotten snares.  Also, this was the fourth time picking through that section so that means the trees only had a few cherries left, and we cruised through the rows.  Or whole clumps of cherries had finally ripened, meaning we could fill our whole basket on one tree!!
I'll admit, the main reason I'm rating this week 'exceptional' is because I spent it in Narnia!  I've been wanting to read the Chronicles of Narnia for awhile, but can't seem to find the time to check them out at the library, leave alone actually read them!  Derek found the perfect solution to my dilemma: audiobooks!  And he bought all seven on Monday!  Let's just say, the days flew by and I'm already on book number three.  I highly recommend them, no matter how 'grown up' you may be and especially if you find yourself in a field all day, your brain checking out for hours on end.  Derek's reconsidering if I should be allowed this privilege, however.  Apparently, he noticed my picking pace resembling that of a snail..  But, I'm a happy snail!!  That must count for something!
I was really glad for the chance to do some weed wacking this last week.  It had been quite a while since I'd had a freshly chopped weed facial!  Seriously, Derek is always shocked by the green monster emerging from the rows once we're done, covered head to toe in jungle, oh wait.. that's Bethel!  (Don't ask me how he manages to stay so much cleaner that me!)  We also did some more de-pulping last weekend and my husband whipped up what I call 'the drying stage'.  The first batch we have drying is almost ready to be taken through the dry mill (getting the papery 'parchment' layer off) and then roasted!!  We will definitely keep all you coffee drinkers updated on this progress and let you know when you can purchase our happy little beans!
Although this week was significantly better than others, as far as picking goes, I was still 'pau' (done) by the time Friday night rolled around!  I'm so thankful for weekends and the chance to catch up on things at home and let my fingers rest.  That's another strange thing: Derek's fingers look the same as before while mine are not handling this season so gracefully!  They are cracked, stained and gross.. even though I wear gloves!  The worst part is, I've developed the nasty habit of biting them, as if that will help the situation!  This is certainly taking a toll on my femininity.  Fortunately, I wasn't too high maintenance to start with!  
One of my favorite realizations this last week was when Derek pointed out all the new, red flowers that were blooming!  They are unlike any I've seen here, different textures and accents.  Even a bush exploding with vibrant, crimson berries!  Here I was, wishing for 'festivity' even though, in my mind, that means all things snow and winter which I don't actually care for.  And God showed me His creativity and Christmasy beauty right here in the jungle!  Absolutely lovely.  How could I underestimate the Creator thinking He was somehow limited to snowflakes and sled rides and caroling in negative degrees.  He can reveal his Majesty however and whenever He chooses, and remembering the birth of His Son into this world, His plan to redeem mankind, is definitely not a celebration that He skimps on!
Last, but not least, my favorite thing about this week.  Not the gelato date with my husband, although I really loved that!!  Not the amazing gathering of women this weekend, but I did enjoy the fellowship AND was successful in my first flower arrangement!  Not even watching Derek tickle Kai's feet while the poor pup was asleep and laughing till our sides hurt!  
The best part of this week actually came in the form of an unexpected phone call; an interruption.  We were finishing up in the fields one afternoon, having filled several bags we were excited to get home at a decent time.  I wanted to go for a run and we already had delicious plans for dinner.  That's when Derek's phone rang.  It was a lady we didn't know, she had gotten the number from a friend at our church.  She was moving into town and was desperate for some help moving her couch.  (You know what they say about friends with trucks!!)  So, Derek agreed.  
We finished up and headed over... only to find that 'moving her couch' was just the tip of the iceberg.  A sweet, single lady with a teeny tiny car; she was planning on taking full advantage of a pickup truck.  45 minutes later we've loaded up half her house and helped her rearrange the furniture she's leaving behind.  We followed her into town and unloaded everything, while she thanked us over and over and over.  Before leaving we were able to talk with her a little bit and invite her to our church.  She said her friend (the one who gave the phone number) had been wanting her to come and now she just might!  
All of a sudden it didn't matter that this was an interruption, an inconvenience or that we didn't have the nice evening at home that we had envisioned.  We were able to respond to an opportunity from God; to be His hands, feet and muscle!  This lady saw willingness in a couple she didn't know, when all of her friends had bailed on moving day.  This isn't about how awesome we are. We didn't jump on the chance to help a stranger move, it was more like 'Uh...okay.. yeah, I guess we can come.'  But God used that!  And when we step aside and become a vessel for God to flow through, things happen!  I'm not sure of the circumstances in this woman's life, but now I can pray for her.  We planted seeds and not much in this world can top that feeling!  THAT is my favorite!
[But we have this treasure in jars of clay to show that this all-surpassing power is from God and not from us. 2 Corinthians 4:7]

No comments:

Post a Comment