Monday, March 25, 2013

Seek Ye First..

One of the many perks of literally living at the church is easy access to the piano.  I love to go in the sanctuary and let my fingers dance their way across the keys.  It's certainly nothing concert worthy and I'm sure my timing is horrendous.  But it's an expression of my heart; a time where everything else fades away and I can meet Jesus on a level of raw simplicity.  That's where I was this last week, sitting in His presence, when something incredible happened.
I started to recognize the melody 'Seek ye first the Kingdom of God...' emerging from my absent-minded ramblings.  I haven't sung this song in years and can't ever remember playing it.  But there I was, playing it!  Picking out the notes did take a bit of effort, and the words were even slower in coming.  I kept singing the first line but drawing a blank after 'Kingdom of God'.  What came next?  As I continued to play, the words began to come.. 'and His righteousness.'  Derek's the only one that could hear my crazed repetition of this tune, so I wasn't too worried about playing it for the seventeenth time, and that's when I realized the next part, 'And all these things shall be added onto you.  Hallelu Hallelujah.'
God finds amazing ways to teach me.  I definitely find direction and inspiration through the Bible and at church and Bible study, but He's certainly not limited to those times or resources.  More often than not, He's using daily happenings to guide and mold me.  All those lessons learned in the coffee field are a perfect example.  And yet, after hearing from Him through this song... I just went on with my day!  It didn't fully register in my mind until we were sitting in Bible study, two nights later.
We were talking about the 'big picture' and the fact that we can get so caught up in our little world that we miss out on all that God has for us!  We wonder why everything's a mess and we drive ourselves crazy in attempts to control our little world.  But if we could just step back and look at the big picture we'd realize that there's SO MUCH MORE to life!  God has incredible plans for us and when we're focused on Him and following His direction, the details of our life will work themselves out!  (Or, rather, He works them out!)  And at this point the leader of our study said, 'Seek ye first the Kingdom of God!'  Woah.. sound familiar?!
It was an awesome week.  We've been praying for rain and it's finally starting to pour down.   I think we received more moisture this week than we have in the past few months!  Downpour from morning till night does tend to make field work a little more difficult, though.  Thankfully, not much is required at this point besides maintaining the weeds.  I was certainly glad for the chance to read a good book, meet up with a friend and take a few afternoon naps.  We discovered an all-time favorite meal in our spare time; a name-less conglomeration of everything we were craving this particular evening: teriyaki chicken, japanese noodles, baked carrots, cabbage, scrambled eggs- you get the picture :) And when the rain stopped we did tackle the weed whacking in the remaining sections of field that can't be mowed.  Unfortunately, the section I was in happened to be right under a ginormous avocado tree.  This means that the avos are scattered up and down each row, hidden by grass and weeds.  I wouldn't see them until it was too late and my whacker had already whipped the over-ripe, gooey green-ness all over my body.  Yuck!  I guess it's preparation for diaper changing?!
The little man continues to punch and kick the walls of his little cocoon.  I definitely wouldn't describe it as a 'fluttering' anymore!  I can actually see my belly moving which is extremely exciting and, I must admit, slightly freaky!  He is of eggplant proportions this week, but still goes by 'Peanut'.  We bounce back and forth with names.  Neither of us feel too rushed about the decision making, though.  We may not know for certain until we see his sweet face!
Excitement for the week: dinner with friends, meeting new people and Derek doing a back flip off his surf board!  I made my first batch of almond butter and then used it in a flour-less cookie recipe!  I must clarify, though.. they were flour-less simply because we had no flour and this pregnant lady NEEDED cookies!  I don't have many cravings, but when I do- it's an urgent matter.
We continue to mail out coffee and Derek worked wonders on our website.  You can check it out at pearlkonacoffee.com!  Derek and I are both taking a turn leading Bible Study at our church this next month and we've started researching our topics, digging into the Bible and picking people's brains.  We're excited and a little bit nervous!  Life is exciting!  Especially when we take our eyes off of our issues, unknowns, fears, etc. and focus in on the incredible things God is doing and the fact that He wants US to be a part of it.  I'm learning to seek Him first: His Kingdom and His righteousness!  Everything else will fall into place; exactly what I need for each day will be 'added unto me'.  Hallelu Hallelujah!

5 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for this post! It was exactly what I needed to hear today. SEEK FIRST HIS KINGDOM!
    You are so encouraging.
    XO

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww.. Brittany!! YOU are so encouraging :) Thanks for reading, friend! Glad to hear that God spoke to you through this as well.
      <3

      Delete
  2. Loved your blog. Love the new picture. You are just too cute and pregnancy only makes you prettier...that pregnancy glow we used to call it. :) Your avocado experience reminded me of stepping of a few of those messy avocadoes when I was in the field picking or pruning. We have heard lots of good things about your coffee and seen good comments on facebook. :) Congratulations. I love what you have done on your web site. Way to go Derek. I will be praying that the Lord will lead you both as you study and prepare for your Bible Studies. Now I have a beautiful song stuck in my brain too. :) I always liked that song...but hadn't sung it in a long time. Blessings from Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mom!! Thank you :) I always love knowing that you've read the latest post!!
      We did do some slipping & sliding in those avos when you were here, huh?! Ewww.
      Thanks for the prayers!! LOVE YOU!

      Delete
  3. Bethel!!! I just read your blog. Thank you for getting a super good song stuck in my head to help me focus on Him! :) It is always a blessing to read what the Lord is doing in your life and hearts. Super excited for your little man!!! Being a mama is a very amazing and humbling experience. You'll have to give me your address some time. Also... I just saw that your mom has a blog too. I haven't seen them in a long time, but, from the sounds of it, we live like 20 minutes from them. We went to the Pismo Butterfly Pavilion after church on Easter. Crazy! Anyway, before I write you gobs, I will stop. Blessings to you and your sweet family! Miss having you close. May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him! Romans 15:13. We'll have to be in touch. In Christ's love... Emily, Brandon, and Kaylee

    ReplyDelete