Saturday, November 30, 2013

life is like.. a bag of truffles!

Now that I'm 1/3 of a year old, my Mom thought it was time for an 'Owen update'..  that or she's just shirking her blogging duties, I can't be sure.  I have mastered an abundance of new tricks since last time, though.  I *can* roll over but try my best not to make a habit of it!  And I've made a fascinating discovery- the tongue!  Seriously, has this thing been in my mouth the whole time?!
Oooh's and aaah's were fun for awhile but I've graduated to lippy sounds, now: b's, v's and a whole lot of spit.  My parents go crazy over a shrieky, pterodactyl laugh I let slip on occasion..  I'm telling you, these two are putty in my hands :)
At my four month checkup I was tipping the scales at 16.2 pounds and I'm 25 inches tall!  A layer of 'man hair' is coming in under the few remaining wisps of baby hair that Mom insists on curling and spiking!  Thankfully, I have an ally in my Dad when it comes to hair-do's, shoes and collared shirts.  He's sure that I'm terribly uncomfortable and is quick to un-botton, de-shoe and smooth down the mohawk as soon as Mom turns her back.  Dad is so cool.  But, now that I think about it, he sure didn't put a stop to my Mom's 'sleep bootcamp'!  He must've been at work when that went down.  But, (and don't tell her I said this) I have finally come over to the dark side.  Turns out I can fall asleep on my own and life is oh-so-much jollier when I take good naps.  (Mom's words.. not mine!)
[I must be faking it here..]
My parents left me for the first time last week.  Shocking, I know!  Apparently they thought it would be fun to go on an Owen-less date!?  Not sure where they gathered this notion, but they did choose some pretty cool people for me to hang out with and I was pretty brave about the whole ordeal.  There's talk of them making a habit of this, though..  why does no one consult me about these things?!
My first Thanksgiving was a very exciting time!  My family sure has a lot to be thankful for.  I know they really start missing those mainland people at this time of year but we have a really great ohana here, too.  We had three turkey dinners (and leftovers..) before Thanksgiving even arrived!  For the actual day we were invited to celebrate with aforementioned 'pretty cool people' and had a sea-faring dinner that my Mom won't stop raving about.   Unfortunately, I'm still on a milk-only diet and can't vouch for the deliciousness.  They also put me to bed just in time for the story telling and laughing, but I hear it was a fantastic time!
[my family!]
This week especially, I know my parents are extremely thankful for the people God has placed in our life.  I'm no mechanic and I have yet to figure out where our clutch went to, but I do know that it went 'out'.. and apparently that is frowned upon around here.  My Mom says you can find good in the crappiest of situations (although, I'm not supposed to say crap).  It's like a truffle, which my parents just bought in bulk at Costco!  The first taste may be bitter and dark but underneath that layer is sweet, creaminess; goodness in disguise.
Like my Dad realizing the issue BEFORE driving down the steepest road on the island.  Thank you, Jesus!  Or a mechanic that we don't even know, stopping by on his way home to confirm my Dad's suspicions.  The next day a friend drove all the way to town to pick up a part for us!  Dad went straight to work on it- only to realize he needed another part- one that wouldn't be available till after the holiday.  BUT, then our friends offered the use of their truck till ours was running again!  Goodness.. everywhere we look!  One big truffle..
[Mom's favorites!]
I may not know as much as big people, but I'm seeing the goodness of God EVERYWHERE!  I'm observant now, like on a sponge-like level!  And I'm realizing that in all their 'knowing', big people can really miss the obvious truths.  For all their abilities and resources and ideas.. there seems to be a lot of people losing sight of the simplicity of grace and joy and love.  We don't deserve it, God gives it freely.. and that's why we're here.  
Ephesians 5:1-2 tells us to 'Follow God's example, therefore, as dearly loved children and walk in the way of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.'  We saw love lived out this week, extended to us over and over.  Each time we were made a part of the family and welcomed into someone's home; each turkey dinner and laughter filled evening.  We see it in a borrowed vehicle, a mechanic bill that was less than we anticipated and a counter full of free fruit.  Goodness, grace and love..  undeserved, unexpected and in abundance.  We will face a lot of hard in this life; we live in a fallen world!  But we should focus on the blessings that God pours out each and every day; the GOOD that He works out of every situation.  To be imitators of the love of Jesus, that is our goal!  And we witnessed first hand, this week, how this makes life less stressful and more like.. a bag of truffles!
Until next time~
Mr. O
[morning hairs!]

1 comment:

  1. Owen...you are getting to be quite and accomplished writer...just like your mommy! I am so happy to hear how you are growing so...well, and that you are able to let Mom and Dad get away for a little while for a date. You'll find that Mom and Dad are so much happier when they get to have some special time for the two of them...plus they usually are so excited to come back and see you. God is so...good and one of these days you will actually get to eat some of those truffles...take it from Grandma...they are really yummy. :) We can hardly wait to see you in March for our family reunion...but I will sure miss being with you and your Mom and Dad at Christmas time. It was last year on Christmas day that we learned that you were soon to be born. What a special day to announce your coming birth...the day we celebrate the birth of our SAVIOR. I'm so...glad that you have a Mom and Dad who teach you all about HIM. Tell your Mom that she is supposed to give you a big hug from Grandma DeDe and Grandpa Wayne. Love you "little man". Grandma

    ReplyDelete