Monday, April 7, 2014

A lunatic's pity-party-

I heard from Jesus in the most amazing way last night.  I was out for a walk with Owen, trying to classify the overwhelming emotion I was feeling.  It wasn't sadness or frustration, but I felt so very.. heavy.  We just spent an amazing nine days with my family in California and I'm really struggling to get back into the swing of things now that we're home.  You don't know how much you actually miss someone until you get a little taste of life with them!  Anyway, I finally decided on the word: weary.  And I voiced it.  'Jesus, I am so weary.'  Simple and to the point.. that's how my conversations with Him go.  And in the same breath, I found myself saying 'Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest!'
These words stopped me in my tracks.  Woah!  Where did that come from?!  I assumed the next words out of my mouth would've been a slightly dramatic explanation of why, exactly, I am so weary. (As if I need to explain these things to the One who knows me better than I know myself..)  But out popped this verse, this perfectly-suited-to-my-situation verse; Matthew 11:28.  There was my answer.  'Yes, daughter, I know you are weary and your heart feels heavy.  The solution is simple: come to Me!  I long to give you rest but you must first come to Me.
We've been going a million miles an hour the last couple months and I kept telling myself, 'Just a little bit longer and you can rest.'  'Just a few more weeks till California!'  And our trip was everything we hoped it would be; family and fun and laughing until we cried!  We were finally able to introduce our son to so many of the people we love.  There were games to play, delicious food to eat, and all hours of the night to stay up talking.  We played at the beach, we flew kites and blew bubbles with nieces and nephews.  Derek went surfing with the guys, I went walking with my Mama!  It was incredible.  Winery exploration, an early Easter party and harassment from my brothers.  Painting little girl nails, piggy back rides and catching up with sisters and favorite cousins.  These are just a few of the many memories made.
And then we flew back to Hawaii.  And Owen is burning up with fever from tooth number three trying to make it's entrance.  And I caught a nasty cold somewhere along the line.  And Derek's stacked up to his eye balls with work.  And our home is a construction site for the next few weeks.  And there's nothing terrible about any of these things.  We are abundantly thankful for the eye-ball-high stack of work for Derek, and the home improvements are just part of life, and teething is pretty standard for every single baby in the entire world.  It just caught me off guard because I was expecting to come home feeling refreshed and ready to tackle life, but instead I just feel the overwhelming urge to take my boys and jump back on the next plane to California!
And that is what got me out walking last night.. talking out loud like a lunatic, knowing that I shouldn't be feeling anything but overwhelming gratitude for this incredible life and an awesome vacation!  But, in the past few months I've had several people say 'Okay, I read your blog and I love it.. but is that really you?' And so here's a little bit of raw, unedited me.  And it's not pretty.  I felt like I was barely keeping my head above water.. (although that may have just been the impressive amount of snot building up in my sinuses.)  Owen was loudly expressing his discomfort and I was throwing myself a grand pity-party, all right there in the middle of the road.  But God still spoke.  He doesn't give up on me.  And I don't deserve His grace, but that doesn't factor into His equation.  He gives it freely.
'Come to Me, all who are weary and heavy-laden, and I will give you rest!'  
It's a promise.  And the only condition is that we COME!  And that's all I have for now.  I'm working on the coming.  On the intentional setting aside of time to BE with Him.  Because it's not going to just 'happen' to fit in.  I have a nine month old baby; free time is an endangered species!  If I want to rise above this place of just keeping my head above water I need to make my way to Jesus, the Rock, and climb aboard, accepting the rest that He is waiting to give.

1 comment:

  1. Sweet Bethel...just wish I could come and give you a big hug. I am feeling very much the same. I know it is just that the house is quiet and I have been sick too. But your words hit the nail on the head. I haven't been coming to Jesus and I too am weary. I need to be more persistent with getting to a quiet place and having a good talk with my Lord. Yes, it was a great time with family and it does make us all wish we were closer, but God has it all in His perfect plan and He needs to be our peace and joy. Keep hanging on to Jesus. Love Love Love you Mom

    ReplyDelete