Monday, August 27, 2012

introspection.. whether I like it or not!

In this high-tech, supersonic, fast food world I find that there's not a lot of time for introspection; 'looking within oneself'.  However, when you find yourself gripping the toilet bowl for dear life, throwing up through the wee hours of the night and on into the next day... life slows down a LOT.  All of a sudden pondering life (and sipping Sprite) is your only option!  As unfortunate as it was to get sick while we had visitors, I was unbelievably thankful for the use of their hotel room, or rather their bathroom!  Jungle woman or not, no one likes to throw up in the front yard!  I had the very best of nurses, although at the time I was certainly not impressed with Derek's insistence on me sipping 'just three more spoonfuls' of chicken noodle.  While lounging on the couch bed, feeling as though I would spontaneously combust at any moment, I began to realize something.  I, of course, had repeatedly asked God to heal me, but He gave me the strength to keep throwing up.  The presence of my Father was so tangible that night and although it took me four days to finally recover, I know He allowed it for my good.
Sometimes I ask God for what I think is the best outcome, an immediate solution- no more throwing up.  But He answers with what's best in the long run- completely ridding my system of the junk in it and ultimately restoring my health!  Story of my life; thinking I've got it figured out and trying to fill God in on MY plan when He's got designs on a whole different level!  Plans I can't begin to comprehend.  He sees the big picture!  And THAT is why He is God and I am not!  "My thoughts are nothing like your thoughts," says the LORD. "And my ways are far beyond anything you could imagine." Isaiah 55:8 NLT
This week flew by, probably because I was comatose for half of it, and Derek's parents have already returned home.  We loved having them here and are very hopeful that they'll experience withdrawals and start planning another trip!!  I hear that Hawaii has a way of getting under your skin; once you get a taste of this paradise (and a few apple bananas!) you won't be able to forget it anytime soon! 
[snorkeling adventures!]
In other news; we're experiencing a bit of reverse culture-shock, learning how to live indoors again!  Our weekend was slam packed and 'moving' basically consisted of filling the back of our truck with suitcases, food and the few things we've acquired in the past six months.  Today is our first day of settling in at the apartment or 'nesting' as my friend called it!  Our initial excitement about this opportunity was the use of a shower, toilet and washing machine.  Now that we're turning this into a home, however, I'm realizing how excited I am about hanging curtains, putting pictures on the walls and doing some re-painting!  Greenhouse walls aren't nearly as fun to decorate as real ones.  
God was, once again, several steps ahead of us with this move.  We thought we knew what 'a lot of rain' meant until this past week.  The rain has become a regular occurrence, sometimes multiple times a day!  And it has been intense; downpours of extreme proportions!  The rain flowed right through our greenhouse for the first time last week.  We were away when it happened and returned to evidence of a small river having ran it's course under the bed where all of our suitcases are stored.  Not good.  Thankfully, there was no harm done and the suitcases could be moved.  What could have turned into a major headache isn't even a concern anymore because our suitcases now reside in a dry closet!  
We're excited for a new week and adjusting to our new digs.  The blessing of this apartment is still so mind boggling and humbling.  We serve an amazing God and are honored to be a part of His church, this church, a body of incredible people allowing Him to live through them.  These people have affected our lives in unimaginable ways and we thank God for each and every one of them!  This week we had several cleaning jobs and a painting job and this coming week we'll be picking coffee cherries again.  Our request for work has definitely been fulfilled and we are so grateful!  We're almost completely caught up on the work in the fields, too- thanks to Derek's Dad and our brand new investment: a RIDING lawnmower!!!  We've talked, dreamed, searched and continually weed wacked for six months and now relief is finally a reality!  The first round of mowing is a bit tedious; we have to clear the rocks out of each row, but it's 100% worth it!  Not to mention the look on Derek's face as he cruises in the field :)  Talk about a week packed chock-full of amazing!  
For you, LORD, 
have delivered me from death,
my eyes from tears,
my feet from stumbling,
that I may walk before the LORD
in the land of the living.
Psalm 116:8-9

No comments:

Post a Comment