Tuesday, September 25, 2012

pictures worth a thousand words!!

They say a picture is supposed to be worth a thousand words and I'm taking them at their word for this post!  We've had a whirlwind of a week, venturing all over the island with our friend, Simon, from Germany!  We did our Discipleship Training School together in Australia and have had so much fun reminiscing all our adventures :)  Having a guest gives us a great excuse to explore new parts of this beautiful island we live on!  We also put our visitor to work for a few days, picking coffee adds to the authentic Hawaiian experience, right?!  Instead of attempting to describe all that we've seen the past few days I opted for giving you a glimpse of it all..
at 'Pine Trees'
We kayaked to the Captain Cook monument, basked in the sun and introduced Simon to the best clam chowder in town!  Exploring, snorkeling and consuming slightly excessive amounts of Kona coffee made for some amazing days!  
BIG fan of Derek being in charge of dinner ^^
Road-tripping with two boys makes for quite the adventure!  An unbelievable amount of questionable odors are dealt, smelled and promptly blamed on Kai!  There is a significant lack of appreciation for my incessant need to pee (or rather, the fact that it's not quite as simple in my case as theirs!)  Apparently, 11:30PM is a 'perfect time for second-dinner!'  and carrying the bulging, green beach bag is NOT manly! 
-on top of Mauna Kea-
We waited at the tippy top of Mauna Kea for the sunset and then watched the stars come out.  Everything is more incredible from 13,796 feet but along with the view comes an impressive cold!  I will admit to being bundled in four layers and a large blanket by the end of the evening!
We've mastered the art of 'red-neck' camping which allowed us to continue our adventures the next day.. on to waterfalls, jungles and beach time!
 [so blessed to be married to my best friend!]
Kai's set up in the truck :)
-gorgeous views around EVERY corner-
-The beautiful Akaka Falla-
All joking aside, I wouldn't have wanted our explorations any other way!  And for as much grief as I give these two, I secretly enjoy the shenanigans and non-stop hassling!  Plus, they helped me clean the church upon our return late Saturday night.  I don't even think they had ulterior motives, like.. say, homemade chocolate chip banana bread :)
Hapuna Beach <3
Witnessing so much beauty is simply another reason to stand in AWE of my Creator!  I read in Colossians 1:16-17 that 'in Him all things were created: things in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible ... ALL things have been created through Him and for Him.  He is before all things, and in Him all things hold together.'  
Drinking coffee right before bed doesn't usually keep me up, but one night this past week had me tossing and turning and I finally ended up on my knees, talking things out with my Papa.  Something about being on my knees before Him almost always brings me to tears.  Humbled by His grace and mercy, flooded by His love for me; being in the presence of my Savior and King is the most wonderful feeling!  More beautiful than any sunset or hidden beach is the knowledge that He created me, knows me and is holding me together!  In the words of Cory Asbury's song: 
I've finally found where I belong, in Your presence.

1 comment:

  1. Loved this. Your last words, the song, reminded me of a new Bible verse that I am trying to memorize: "You will show me the path of life; in Your presence is the fullness of joy, at Your right hand are pleasures forevermore." Ps. 16:11
    Sounds like you have had an amazing time with Simon. Enjoy! We all send our Love and can't wait to be there with you soon. Mom

    ReplyDelete