Thursday, August 15, 2013

A little about love <--

At the end of 1 Corinthians 12, Paul tells us he will 'show us the most excellent way'.. prelude for chapter 13, the famous 'love chapter'.  I've learned a lot about love in the past few weeks. Yes, we've all seen the artsy wall plaques: 'love is patient, love is kind, love never fails..'  We have these words read at weddings.  But how do they translate to real life situations?  It's easy to say 'love' when the sun is shining and she's positively radiant in that beautiful white dress.  But what about at 3AM when her hair is a mess and she can't get the baby back to sleep?  Love says 'I'll take a turn..'
Love is not an emotion or feeling, it is a choice.  The ultimate example of this is our Savior.  God made the choice; to love me, to love you.  He chose to give, to sacrifice His all even though He knew that each of us could make the choice to reject and deny Him, to break His heart.  That was a risk He was willing to take; God IS love.
Love believes in you when you've given up on yourself.  Love picks you up, dusts you off and reminds you that it's a new day.  Love never fails.  The all-consuming, overwhelming yet subtle and gentle way of our God: that is love.  Love builds up.  Love is affirming.  Love says, 'You have what it takes!'
The beautiful, priceless moments of the past few weeks were made complete because of love.  We survived the difficult, tear-filled nights because of love.  Love reminds me on a daily basis that I will never be given more than I can handle, that His grace is sufficient.  It's the whisper in the middle of the night, saying 'Love, because I first loved you'.  I look at my husband, at my son and my heart overflows; yet Love reminds me that His love is incredibly higher, wider and deeper than what I feel!
We are called to follow the example of Jesus, imitating this love (Ephesians 5:1-2).  And that is the kind of man I am married to, the kind of love I am blessed to experience on a daily basis.  Love comes home from working all day and starts making dinner.  Love gives without expecting anything in return, even when it's the last scoop of ice cream.  Love encourages.  Love gives me a reason to laugh and gets me outside to watch the sunset and decompress.  Love will rock Owen while I take a shower.  Love bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. 
I am in awe of the incredible love of my Savior.  I'm humbled by the love of my husband.  Jesus has also called ME to a life of love, to be kept up all night and yet start the next day with a smile.  Love keeps no record of wrongs or poopy diapers.  Love sees incredible potential in even the tiniest life and does all it can to help that potential be realized.  To love is to be vulnerable and honest and have part of your heart living outside your body.  Love may not always have the right answer, but it will never give up.  Love is a choice, 'the most excellent way' and I learn a little more about love every day. 

1 comment:

  1. Your blog this week was eloquent in its simplicity and gets to the heart of the most important thing on earth...LOVE. You are experiencing God's love through your family and we are experiencing that same love through you. Thanks for sharing...even when your schedule is busier than ever. Did you know that you are a poet? The last lines of your blog this week rhyme beautifully: Love is a choice
    The most excellent way
    And I learn a little more about love
    Every day :)

    Loving you Dad and Mom

    ReplyDelete