Friday, August 9, 2013

His words & His strength

When you have a four week old baby, things tend to blur around the edges.  Days fly by to the tune of feeding after feeding, diaper after diaper.  I'm learning the importance of grabbing onto a moment and truly cherishing it before it's whisked away, nothing but a sweet memory.  Owen's quickly filling out these newborn outfits; a bitter-sweet reminder that there is no 'pause button'.  Each snuggle session must be relished.  Every day is irreplaceable.
I wish I could say this was always my mindset.  Unfortunately, I must admit to moments of frustration.  Gently tucking him into his crib, I'll tip toe back to my own bed and slip under the covers.  One one thousand, two one thousand, three one thousand... sleep is a breath away.  And then he realizes I'm no longer holding him; the gig is up.  My back aches and my neck has a golf ball sized kink in it.  Yet, I'd rather walk across hot coals then listen to that cry for extended periods of time.  Yes, there is a time and a place for the 'cry it out' method, but we haven't arrived there quite yet.
Do I miss sleep?  Of course.  Is it worth it?  Absolutely!
Owen and Daddy <3
Babies don't come with instructions.  Sure, the 'experts' can explain about their different needs in a tidy, 'checklist' style: Is baby hungry?  How's the diaper situation?  Is he tired?  Does he have gas?  This all makes perfect sense at prenatal class.  But then it's real life and you've scored an A+ on the 'checklist' but your little angel still feels the strong urge to cry and you're thinking you might just cry with him!  There's not always a simple solution for a fussy baby.  The good news is, for the most part, these moments are few and far between in the Pearl house.  Owen is a champ and usually a very happy baby.
Lack of sleep has made for some hilarious moments.  Owen's umbilical cord finally detached from his cute little belly button and he's enjoyed taking 'big boy' baths.  The strange part is that we simply found the stump sitting on the kitchen counter one morning!  None of us have any recollection of how it came to be there.  Needless to say, coffee is now a necessity in these parts!  Unfortunately, I made the mistake of waiting until late in the evening to indulge in my very first caffeinated cup.  We were playing cards and it was the perfect occasion.  I was re-thinking that decision at one o'clock in the morning, however, as I bounced off the walls and folded laundry!  Speaking of laundry, there's no shortage in this house.  We've successfully transitioned into cloth diapers and it's almost as if I can hear our bank account thanking us!  Derek's even tackled a few of Owen's 'blowouts' and is stronger because of it :)
[three week picture.. pound it!]
On the way to Owen's three week check-up we guessed how much he would weigh.  Mom said 8.7, Derek thought 8.9.. and they both called me crazy for guessing 9.1.  I told them not to underestimate my back muscles, which inform me of his weight on a regular basis!  And... he was exactly nine pounds and one ounce!  It's amazing to see the changes happening daily.  He's very alert, growing like a weed and has officially discovered his tongue.  Now that he's filling out and has some cheeks people are beginning to see the resemblance to his mom, not sure how I feel about that!  (Kidding!!) 
My Mom left yesterday and I'm still in denial.  We had a wonderful time together; daily walks on my favorite jungle trail, brownies and card games at night, a pedicure date complete with champagne!  She was an enormous help, but what I will miss more than the folded laundry and extra pair of hands is her presence.  There's just something about Mom that nothing else can replace or duplicate.
Which brings me back to where we started.  I am Owen's mom and I'm beginning to grasp the incredible honor, blessing and challenge that accompanies my new title.  I read in 1 Peter 4:11 that 'if anyone speaks, they should do so as one who speaks the very words of God.  If anyone serves, they should do so with the strength God provides, so that in all things God may be praised through Jesus Christ.'  This really gave me some perspective for my new role.  Many people will speak into Owen's life but none of them will say quite as much as I will; may I embrace every opportunity to speak the words of God to my tiny son.  May my speech be filled with grace and love, even at three in the morning!  And as I serve, which I now understand is what moms do all day, every day- may it be with the strength Jesus gives me.  It MUST be with that strength or, as I've already discovered, it's easy to burn out.  But with His words and by His strength, each day is filled with incredible potential and is an amazing journey. 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Bethel,
    Yes, Mom is a blessing wherever she is and I am happy to have her back home. But I am so glad that she was able to help you for that season of your life in which you are learning that parenthood is servanthood. And how blessed are those who find joy in the sacrifice. Our giving away of ourselves by using our spiritual gifts as I Peter 4:10-11 tells us makes a big deal out of Jesus by giving all the credit to Him who served us with all His gifts and became our example, strength and inspiration to give our lives away to our family, friends and even our enemies. Thanks for making Mom feel at home there and for all you did for her and for letting her come back home. Love Dad :)
    Bethel, I miss you all a lot. Missed our walk and talks today, and just being there watching you as you learn to be a better and better mom and dad to little Owen. It was awesome being there. Love Love Love you. (Dad said it all so good) I am still a bit sleep deprived after my trip home. Ha!

    ReplyDelete