Wednesday, May 14, 2014

perspective from a rooster champion.

10 months ago I had just evacuated my temporary cocoon home in Mom's belly.  What a wild ride it's been since then.  I've lived in three different houses, cut four teeth and expanded my palate by about 99%.  I've been riding in airplanes, meeting a LOT of family members, mowing the lawn with Dad and melting Mom into a puddle on a daily basis.  It's a hard job but somebody has to do it!
My favorites change so often, I'll just tell you what I'm obsessed with this week: frozen peas, mom's water bottle and the new pets that came with this house: three cats!  I love scooting around the living room in search of anything dangerous, pulling up on everything sharp and precarious and, if someone will just hold my hands, I'll run as far as you'll let me!  Needless to say, life is an adventure.
I'm really starting to catch on to things.  I mimic and clap and watch ever so closely for my parent's reactions!  I like to join in the fun when Dad and Mom are really cracking up about something, and when I start chuckling they laugh even harder!  There are a few things they just don't approve of, though.  For example: crawling out of my highchair or doing gymnastics on the changing table.  I don't understand why these activities are frowned upon but I AM starting to realize that they use the dreaded 'N word' every time I make an attempt.  (These guys missed the memo; they think they're running this show!)
The new place where we live came with 10 acres of land begging to be explored!  We take lots of walks around the property and we even planted a garden!  Mom and I lay in the grass and look up where there's a whole world of tree tops, cloud animals and soaring birds.  We also lay in the same spot, but on our bellies, digging in the dirt, inspecting each blade of grass and, if we're lucky, finding a lady bug or chameleon!  Perspective is an amazing thing; we're in the exact same spot, simply choosing what we want to focus on.
Last Mother's Day I was the size of a small melon; this Mother's Day I weigh 21 pounds and wear 12-18 month clothes!  I was 100% alive last year and Mom did get to celebrate.. but this year I'm alive and MOVING, so Dad and I really made her feel like a princess.  This year she knows a little more.  Mom's figuring out what it is to have part of her heart live outside her body.  She knows about loving so big that it hurts.  She struggles over clinging to each sweet moment while anxiously awaiting the next stage.  She's logged sleepless nights, changed hundreds of diapers and is learning about fit throwing.  Apparently, I'm responsible for some of her hardest cries and deepest laughs.  She recently told me, 'Being a Mom is the best 'job' in the world.'  I don't know what's so labor intensive about having a baby [pun intended..] but I'll take her word for it.
The word 'shy' is not in my vocabulary at this point and I  will go to anyone that has arms.  I think this is because I have so many 'aunties' and 'uncles' here.  This can make for some awkward situations in grocery stores.  But adults need to laugh more and I like to guarantee that wherever I go.  My latest tactic was having a 'yell-off' competition with the rooster in the post office!  He thought he had the best pair of lungs but, after going back and forth several times, it was obvious who the champion was.  [And yes, there was a rooster IN the post office...] Now, if you want to talk about awkward situations- Mom put a shoe on me the other day!?  Don't know what that was about.  Hopefully she doesn't attempt that for another 10 months..
My favorite time of day is when Dad comes home from work.  He is so much fun and always full of genius ideas.  Sometimes they seem extreme to our Mom but she usually comes around.  (If she doesn't, we just go to a different room and try it!)  Second favorite part of the day: story time!  I can't get enough of those books, especially now that I know about turning pages.  And, yes, I'm the only one allowed to do the turning!  Some of my books have moving parts, others have different textures, there's no end to the places we go and the people we meet in my stories..
The binding in my Bible is breaking but Mom says that's okay, it's the most important one and we'll turn the pages till it falls apart, then get another one and keep reading.  Mom says 'The Lord is my Shepherd, I shall not want. Psalm 23:1' over and over and over, like she wants me to remember it or something.  I chatter all day long but these guys aren't fluent in my dialect yet.  The only words they consistently respond to are 'Dada' and 'Mama'.  I guess I have to ease them into this.  
Well, next time you hear from me I'll be reporting about my first birthday party!!!  (Don't mention this to my Mom, she gets way too emotional!)  I hope you all are doing well!!
Owen
[locally known as: Rooster Champion]

1 comment:

  1. We could use a rooster around here. Ha! Our lovely little chickens are getting so big and I am anxious to find the first egg soon. Enjoy having a child that isn't shy. You, Bethel, were my child that didn't know a stranger. I know I often told people, "I wish my daughter was more shy like her brothers"...but my main concern was your safety because you would talk to anyone and everyone. So Owen gets that from you. :) I am so glad to hear that your Bible is getting worn out, Owen. That is the best book by far to read and the fact that yours is wearing out tells me that you are learning the stories well. Don't ever forget them, they are the reason we can have joy in all circumstances...they are Jesus' stories and tell us why He loves us so much that He willingly gave up His life for us on a cross. Keep that book close to your heart always and you will stay close to Jesus. Love you Owen, give your Mom and Dad a hug. Grandma DeDe

    ReplyDelete