Friday, June 13, 2014

My Birthday Boast!

Last Sunday I turned 23 years young.  We celebrated all week!  Birthdays are great fun.  They are also cause for reflection.  'What have I done with the years I've been given?'  'Who have I become?'  And there's temptation to compile that mental list of accomplishments, comparing my journey to the ones being lived out around me (or, let's be honest, the ones I see lived out on Facebook).  But I've realized that even on MY birthday, it's not about me.                                  
Romans 11:36 is one of my newest memory verses, reminding me that 'From him and through him and for him are all things.  To him be the glory forever!  Amen.'   It's all for Him; who I am, where I've gone and what I do with my years.  We celebrate my life, yes; with chocolate blizzards, bonfires and adventuring!  These boys treated me like an absolute princess!  But beyond that, we celebrate the One who breathed life into me, the One who orchestrates my days and guides me through this journey.
'How deep the Father's love for us, 
How vast beyond all measure
That He should give His only Son
To make a wretch His treasure'
It's unlikely that I will ever be world renowned.  I may never acquire prestigious status or publish a distinguished work of art.  But I am a daughter of the King and if that's not status I don't know what is!  2 Corinthians 10:17 "Let the one who boasts boast in the Lord."   Some days I feel very accomplished; other days I lose my temper, I burn the dinner and hands are thrown up in frustration.  But the truth of the matter is that I am loved by the King of kings.  My life has been redeemed.  I am FREE!  I have been given specific and incredible gifts, designed uniquely for.. me!  When I use those gifts, when I live abundantly; loving BIG and spilling joy into all I do- no matter what I do- God gets the glory and everyday is cause for celebration.
I am humbled by the treasures I have been given, tangible and not.  I am journeying through life with the most incredible man I know and have the absolute privilege of spending each and every day raising our tiny son!  I am surrounded by wonderful people and... oh yeah, I live on an island!  :)  My life's work may not seem grandiose to some but it is a high calling that I would not trade for anything.  And all of this is simply a gift from my Heavenly Father. What do you have that God hasn't given you? And if everything you have is from God, why boast as though it were not a gift? 1 Corinthians 4:7 NLT  His grace is mind boggling; I am blown away by the love my Papa pours out on me daily.  And that is why I echo the words of a favorite song, 'How Deep The Father's Love For Us'; my birthday boast, my life song, may it bring glory to my King!
I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection 

1 comment:

  1. Dear Bethel,
    You put it so...well. Every birthday is cause for doxology. Every year is another gift of grace and opportunity to spread the good News of what HE has done in us and for us and through us in Christ Jesus. Thanks for the Father's Day call. Hope Derek had a meaningful Father's Day too. You picked a good man to be the father of your children. I'll never forget the day you said "Derek's coming, don't mess this up Dad...He's the one". You were right. Thank you for always pointing us to Jesus in your blogs. The testimony of Jesus is the spirit of prophecy, REV. 19:10 He is the message and the life. I'm so glad that you are centered in HIM. So continue to Boast in the Lord! Love Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete