Monday, January 19, 2015

'Mommy's here'

Sweet boy Owen, you are half way through your second year of life. My how time flies.
You're a wild man; adventurous, funny and have yet to develop an ounce of separation anxiety. When they announce that it's time for Sunday School you run all the way to the classroom without ever looking back. What a brave explorer. There are times for holding Mommy's hand, though... (Mommy's and no one else's!) and, yep, those moments sure melt my heart. Thank you for each sweet kiss and for being so quick to say 'luh you' :) I love you too, sweetheart! 
My little chatter box; I get so excited about your blossoming vocabulary and the fact that we understand each other more with each day. Your willingness to try any word or animal sound we conjure up provides endless entertainment! I need to take more videos. Each stage and phase and homemade word ('nanu' for light and 'gagu' for milk!) last only a short time. Right now you pronounce 'birdie' with a french accent, 'beerday', which is quite possibly the cutest thing I've ever heard!
You're built like a linebacker and the way you flat out tackle me on the kitchen floor makes a future in the NFL look promising. Your hair is long and wild and I have to comb out the dread locks on a daily basis! Mischief and curiosity are always mixed in to your expression and our adventures just keep getting better. Your speedometer is usually set to 'fast' and climbing is your preferred method of maneuvering any given object (or human being!) That makes it even sweeter when I find you sitting quietly in your room, reading a book or rocking your teddy bear. I pray that you will always be the definition of tough while keeping your heart tender and compassionate. Not all men can find that balance. I see a lot of your Daddy in you and that's my favorite.
You have a servant heart, my son. It's incredible to watch you grab a cloth and start wiping down the breakfast table or throwing your trash away without being asked. You love to help and, needless to say, that makes my day! I wonder when you'll realize that vacuuming is not exactly the epic adventure you seem to think it is? I wonder if everyday, ordinary objects can always seem as magical as you believe them to be right now.
I wonder about a lot of things, actually. How much longer will I be able to kiss these pudgy feet that are too thick for most shoes your size. Am I teaching you the right things, do we play enough games and how long will it take for that play-doh to pass through your digestive system? I wonder about your future. I wonder if we'll survive temper tantrums (yours and mine!) and I wonder what you'll remember about our days spent together. I wonder if your eyes will stay like mine and I wonder if I'll be able to remember the priceless sound of your giggle once you are grown. I wonder if I'm doing any of this 'right'. 
I never wonder about my love for you, though. Don't ever ever doubt that, son. I will love you every single day of your life! We won't always agree; the hurt feelings and time outs and teeth gritted in frustration are guaranteed. We may not always like each other but my love will never falter. As I whisper to you in the night, 'Mommy's here', so it will be for the rest of our days.. whether you like it or not, I'll be here.
xo
Mama

2 comments:

  1. Bethel - I just read this post and you wrote it so beautifully! It expresses so much of what I feel as I mother these little ones God has given. I have lots of "I wonder"s too. It takes a lot of trusting and holding these sweet kiddos with open hands. Thank you for taking the time to write this one. It really resonated with this mama's heart. Your little Owen just melts me. Enjoy him. You have a big job and from what I know of it, you are doing fabulous. Wish we could share our little adventurers with each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethel - I just read this post and you wrote it so beautifully! It expresses so much of what I feel as I mother these little ones God has given. I have lots of "I wonder"s too. It takes a lot of trusting and holding these sweet kiddos with open hands. Thank you for taking the time to write this one. It really resonated with this mama's heart. Your little Owen just melts me. Enjoy him. You have a big job and from what I know of it, you are doing fabulous. Wish we could share our little adventurers with each other.

    ReplyDelete