Tuesday, December 11, 2012

stronger than I imagined..

Last week was exactly what we needed... a giant helping of 'different'.  While coffee picking may not be the hardest line of work, the monotony was threatening to overwhelm.  Derek summed it up pretty well by telling someone that 'the natives are getting restless!'  And, of course, I had to take it a step further by declaring that THIS native was about to lose her mind!  All joking aside, God knew we just needed a change of scenery and I'm very thankful for the way He works everything out.
Derek had a landscaping job to do on Monday and Tuesday.  This was a welcome change for several reasons.  Landscaping pays a LOT quicker than coffee, and by that I mean receiving a check the same week vs. the coffee check we've been waiting a month and a half for!  A day in town gave Abe and I a chance to run errands, take Kai to the dog beach for frolicking and discover an awesome, little coffee shop.  Derek's day included a lot more sweat and dirt and being within walking distance of the waves was almost the death of him!  He was prepared the next day, though; with his surfboard in the truck he headed straight down to the water after work!
That second day of Derek's shoveling adventures wasn't quite as leisurely for Abe and I as the first.  Derek dropped us off at the land early in the morning so we could get caught up on weed wacking.  Unfortunately, the wackers BOTH had a melt down after the first hour!  I did my best impression of a mechanic and actually managed to get mine apart!  But, alas, Japanese YouTube videos can only get a girl so far.  'I think he said to unscrew this part??!'  Abe made a little progress on them, but they still weren't up and running.  I know this may seem unbelievable but, at this point, we actually decided to pick coffee!  Only problem: we realized we didn't have picking baskets or any bags!  So, we walked home.  Not kidding!  In full work garb, in the heat of the day, we decided a 5 mile walk was our best bet!!  Needless to say, we both took a cold shower and a coma nap upon our return to the apartment!  I am thankful even for this trek, though; for anything out of the ordinary.
Wednesday was a picking day, but at the other farm we've been working at so it still qualifies as 'different'.  This was our fifth round there and the whole acre was picked in just three hours.  Plus, we headed home that day with arms full of the juiciest oranges on the island.. a pay day all of its own!!  And did I mention it was sample day at Costco??  Best.Day.Ever!
The next two days had massive potential for disappointment.  Two families had agreed to pick coffee for us and we had been anxiously awaiting their arrival.  Thinking about the progress that seven or eight pickers could make had us all giddy!  Unfortunately, this turned out to be another no-show.  This didn't get our spirits down, though!  It might have helped that we switched up our usual ham and cheese sandwich routine; who knew tuna salad could be so tasty?!  But, I'm convinced the real reason for our unexplainable cheerfulness lies a bit deeper.  I'm reading through Isaiah and every time I opened my Bible this week I came across something along these lines...

Do you not know?  Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God, the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom.
He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall;
but those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, 
they will walk and not faint. Isaiah 40:28-31

When you pass through the waters, I will be with you;
and when you pass through the rivers, they will not sweep over you.
When you walk through the fire, you will not be burned; 
the flames will not set you ablaze.
For I am the Lord your God,
the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.  Isaiah 43:2-3

These verses began refueling me and I was reminded of Who it is that renews and sustains me!  I also realized that He doesn't say I won't have to go through the waters or the fires of life; He simply promises to be WITH me.  And that's a promise I can live with!  A promise that will continue to carry me through the fields and fill me with joy!
There was plenty of laughter throughout the week.  My funny bone was especially tickled on one occasion; driving home from town we saw a Santa look-alike (fluffy, white beard and ALL!) driving a truck full of coal!!  Not sure why, but this had me laughing for quite some time!!  We also started up a new tradition: Grilloha Friday!  An end of the week celebration paired with our craving for cheeseburgers, morphed into a weekly grill night!!  The arrival of my parents on Saturday afternoon, was the best kind of cherry on top of our week.  There has been much laughter, catching up and plans for exploring the island, after a bit more coffee picking, of course!  Dad and Mom were so excited to finally meet all the wonderful people in our church family here; Sunday was a wonderful day!
What an awesome God we serve.  I am extremely thankful for all the ways He reminds me of His love and faithfulness.  Even when I am weak, He is my strength.  When I think I've reached my 'end' He carries me and then sets me back on my feet to realize that in Him I am stronger than I could ever imagine!

I am he, I am he who will sustain you.
I have made you and I will carry you; 
I will sustain you and I will rescue you. Isaiah 46:4

No comments:

Post a Comment