Sunday, December 30, 2012

superhero alert::

What do these things have in common:: a newly developed talent for identifying odors within a 5mile radius- a.k.a 'the super smeller', an unquenchable desire for sleep and a curious disgust with my old friend, coffee?  I know, I know.. you're thinking 'super powers, zombie-like exhaustion and a weakness of kryptonite proportions.. she must have turned into superwoman!'  Although some may consider it even more impressive than invisibility or mind reading, the truth is that I am simply growing another human being.  Yes, it's true!!  I've been waiting to spill those beans for two months but Christmas was the perfect time to tell our families.
family picture #1
#2 - after Derek said 'on three everyone say Bethel's pregnant!'
I am 13 weeks along which means Baby Pearl is 3in long and the size of a peach.  He/she is due to make their grand appearance on July 10!  Derek and I are very excited!  As far as sickness goes, I've been incredibly blessed.  Nauseous, yes.  But actually throwing up, no.  That means Derek hasn't lost his best farm hand!  Even my extreme dislike for coffee picking pales in light of the terrible sickness I know has accompanied many of my friends and family members through pregnancy.  I'd much rather be picking or pruning, our newest task, then the alternate option.  As long as I'm allowed a significant amount of pee breaks and have plenty of snacks on hand, I'm good to go!
Although this Christmas will always be remembered as the one in which we divulged our exciting news, there were many other memorable moments.  Being 'Vanna White' in our church's Christmas version of Family Feud has given my parade wave quite the reputation!  I was able to enjoy the first fig grown on our very own tree!  Card games, coffee (for everyone but the prego!) and cracking jokes resulted in much laughter and even a little coffee spewing!  Christmas Eve was a perfect beach day, concluded with the island's best clam chowder and a candle light service on the beach!  We had fun weaving together different family traditions; my family's cheesy bean dip for movie night, the Pearl family's 'Christmas breakfast'.  A pool party with church family and Derek's excitement at finally getting everything he needs to finish his surf board also rank high on the list!   It was, indeed, a Merry Christmas!
[candle light service!]
Thanks to Skype, we were actually able to see the reactions of many family members as we showed off our brand new ultrasound picture!  The expressions were priceless.  As we talked to close friends throughout the next few days, the giddiness grew.  It's starting to seem real!  Announcing it to church family was very exciting; our baby has about 30 'aunties' and 'uncles' that can't wait to begin the spoiling!  And, now that the cat's out of the bag I don't have to take as much grief for tucking into bed at ridiculously, early hours of the evening.
Knowing we're adding to our family has been the underlying 'unknown' in our decision making the past few months.  Finding out we had a place to live and a possible job for seven months was enormously more significant to us, knowing that seven months was exactly how long we had until our sweet, baby's arrival!  Yes, we'll need to line up other jobs and find a place to live after the seven months.  We're not sure of all the when's, what's or how long we'll end up living here but we can clearly see that God is making a way and, as always, He is an incredible provider.
The best present I got this year was having several family members go along with my wish for them to give my Christmas money to someone that truly needed it.  This came in the form of donations to World Vision, help for sexually exploited girls and a goat sent to a family in India!  Thinking about the difference these gifts could make in the lives of those that desperately needed it is the BEST kind of gift and exactly what I wanted!  This wasn't about me suddenly developing saint-like qualities, far from it!  I love getting presents, just like anyone else, but I really felt God speaking to me about being a blessing to others.  There was nothing I truly 'needed' this year and Christmas was the perfect chance to GIVE!  After all, that's what it's all about... the gift of Jesus Christ!!
[Light of the world, You came down into darkness]
As we draw to the close of this year, I don't want to make a giant list of resolutions that will be thrown to the wayside by mid-March!  I do, however, want to reflect on all the incredible opportunities and adventures of 2012!  I stand in awe at my God and the countless ways He has loved us, provided for us, taught us and walked with us.  I'm married to my best friend and we learn more about 'love' every day.  There's no one else I'd want to be on this journey with.  As I look forward to 2013 I am absolutely ecstatic!  We are beginning a new chapter and I can't wait to see where God will lead us and all that He will teach us.  Derek and I have been abundantly blessed and I'm excited to BE a blessing in this new year, allowing Jesus to live through us!  Plus, we can't WAIT to meet the little munchkin growing inside of me!
That's all I've got, for this year...

3 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, superhero sister! We're really excited for you and Derek. Hoping that plane tickets to Hawaii are affordable in July!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations My friend and Mr. Pearl! I am so so excited for you! You two, I am sure will make 2 of the greatest parents! Seriously I got a little teary, what a lucky little baby! Prayers your way for a wonderful rest of your pregnancy! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. BEN!!! Thanks, brother :) We would LOVE it if you guys made it out here in July!! We'll be praying for cheap flights :)
    Marylin, you are so sweet!! Thank you! Your prayers are greatly appreciated!! love you, TOO :)

    ReplyDelete