Sunday, October 13, 2013

My un-prayed prayers?!

I've never been one to experience homesickness.  But moving to Hawaii has made me realize how much I took for granted the drastic change of seasons in Colorado.  Granted, most of the time summer turns straight to winter where I grew up!  But nothing beats fall in the mountains and lately I find my thoughts dwelling on crunchy, golden Aspen leaves, cozy scarves and crisp mountain air.  It never occurred to me that I could ask God for fall because, well, I live in Hawaii!
The last few weeks, however, have been rainy, cloudy and... surprisingly fall-like!  I've taken FULL advantage; lighting candles at every possible moment, baking pumpkin muffins, pumpkin pancakes for dinner and trading my well worn shorts and flip flops in for TOMS and, much to Derek's chagrin, a favorite pair of jeans!  ('Why would anyone choose to wear anything but shorts?!?', he says!)  God truly knows every nook and cranny of my heart!
Here's the thing, though.. I'm completely fickle and after three rainy weekends in a row I found myself lamenting how we haven't been to the beach 'in ages'!!  Oh Jesus, thank You for being so patient with me!  So, last weekend we made our way to the water before those rain clouds had a chance to roll in and had a glorious time!  Derek isn't a particularly huge fan of snorkeling unless he is armed with his spear gun (which is currently out of order) so he hung out with Owen while I dove in.  Have I mentioned how much I LOVE living on this island?!  The ocean temps are equivalent to Owen's bath water, the coral creations are magnificent and the schools of fish come in every shape, size and color!
There is certainly a first time for everything and this particular beach day that 'eveything' happened to be leaving the diaper bag at home.  But, like everything else on this journey called life, we said 'Well, we'll wing it!' and Owen certainly had no qualms about going au naturale for a bit!  He also loved floating in the water.  And Kai, who usually hangs out where he can touch, decided to one-up the baby and did a little 'deep' water swimming of his own!  Bravo, pup!
Another desire that I had yet to voice to my Papa was the need for other young moms in my life.  I never thought to pray about this because I have several incredible ladies in our church family that I consider both friends and mentors!  Yet, in the past few months God has brought several young mothers into my life, and I'm realizing this is exactly what my heart has been longing for!!  To be able to compare diaper rash creams and swap labor stories!  It's a breath of fresh air to be asked how my day was and be able to honestly respond, 'Well, I've been pooped on, spit up on and I broke all the rules and rocked my baby to sleep because he's THAT sweet!'  To be built up and encouraged by women of God giving their all to raise up godly men and women to lead this next generation!  Thank you, God.. for knowing me better than I know myself; for answering my un-prayed prayers.
All this rain did mean a few less work days for Derek, but Owen and I certainly didn't mind the extra family time or a lunch date at our favorite Thai restaurant!  We take life one day at a time around here and wouldn't want it any other way.  Our tiny son is three months old today.  It's amazing how much our life has changed in that time.  We laugh a little more, sleep a little less and find ourselves completely in awe of our God and this miracle He has blessed us with!  Owen is discovering his vocal chords and his hands; he is in constant motion.  He follows us with his eyes (especially as I leave the room at nap time!) and we've decided he is exceptionally smart! :) As I reflect on our days and see all the ways God meets our needs and then goes SO FAR BEYOND, answering prayers I've never even prayed, I am humbled. We serve a Mighty God; a God that truly KNOWS us!!
Psalm 139:1-4 'You have searched me, LORD, and you know me. You know when I sit and when I rise; you perceive my thoughts from afar.  You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.  Before a word is on my tongue you, LORD, know it completely.'

1 comment:

  1. God is so good and knows us and our actual needs so much better than we do! Thanks for sharing. Miss you guys!

    ReplyDelete