Thursday, October 3, 2013

Then I had Owen..

I've been putting this post off for awhile because.. let's face it, my tiny son is a hard act to follow!!
 [Just look at that face!]
Owen, however, is a bit preoccupied.  He's learned to suck on his hands, which means you're stuck with my version of our days..  
It's not that I ever disliked babies, but I was never crazy about them for extended periods of time.  I enjoyed holding them, but only for a few minutes.  I'd run through my portfolio of goofy faces and exhaust my 'baby talk' knowledge, then pass them along to the next pair of waiting arms.  The 'Bethel: Mom Edition' I would picture in my mind always included older kids.. at least ones that were walking and talking.  Babies are sweet, I'd say, but they're not really 'fun' until they can fly kites and use sidewalk chalk!
Then I had Owen.
And all those preconceived notions of mine flew right out the window.
He may not know English yet, but we carry on conversations all day long.  He may not be mobile but we manage to do our fair share of exploring.  He likes the jungle and swinging.  He critiques my baking skills on a daily basis.  Owen assists with the laundry folding, read here: we make forts out of the clean sheets!  And on rainy afternoons you'll find us crooning out Jack Johnson melodies and, when he'll allow it, snuggling.  We lay in his ocean (playmat) and read Bible stories- we're all the way up to Joshua! And I never get tired of those little fingers wrapped around mine. 
I was made for many things, some of which I have yet to discover, but becoming a mom has filled me in ways I didn't realize needed filling!  The sense of purpose my new 'role' has given me is absolutely incredible.  God designed me with Owen in mind and I wouldn't trade our days for anything.  I didn't know I was made to be a mom.. but the One who made me knew!
Derek doesn't get to spend as much time with Owen as I do.  But he more than makes up for it when he is home.  Those two... I tell you what, I have my work cut out for me :)  I've learned that when they're together I can usually count on Owen being naked or close to it.  They've discovered a new favorite sport: riding around the parking lot in a wheelchair, chasing Kai!  And our son's palate has recently been expanded to include watermelon and lemon. 
Owen has the best Dad :)
Between landscaping, tree trimming and coffee processing Derek's schedule stays full.  He enjoys his days.  Being self-employed is a wondrous thing!  And Owen and I love being able to tag along on occasion.  We even ventured to a new (to us) part of the island this weekend while he bid a tree job!  It's mind-boggling to think that just two years ago we would never have pictured ourselves living in Hawaii or starting a family!  We certainly didn't know that Derek would have his own business or that he would discover new God given abilities on a daily basis while doing work he truly enjoys!  But God knew..  
[ready to work!]
Once again, God is reminding me of the incredible value of THIS moment.  I'm a schemer, a dreamer.. and I often allow myself to get so caught up in tomorrow's plans that I neglect the beauty of today.  Thankfully, He is my Guide and doesn't let me wander aimlessly forever, constructing plans that may never come to pass.  He reminds me that all I have is right now and not to waste it!
We're going through the fruits of the Spirit at church and the message two weeks ago was on peace and this last Sunday was patience.  Talk about spot on.  The Devil didn't want me to hear either teaching; both times I had a completely valid excuse to sit it out.. Owen needed to eat or be bounced (have I mentioned how he moves constantly?!)  And then there was a diaper explosion to deal with.  But, thankfully, I was able to hear both lessons and they were, not surprisingly, exactly what I needed.
In short, when the Holy Spirit of God lives within us we will experience peace that the world cannot take away and does not understand (it surpasses all understanding! Philippians 4:7).  When we are surrendered to Jesus and our lives are directed by His Spirit we are given the strength to be patient.. with one another or with our circumstances, etc.  We can rest in the knowledge that God is in control.  Lamentations 3:24 'I say to myself, "The LORD is my portion; therefore I will wait for Him." 
I don't know what is next for us, I don't even know what I'm making for dinner tonight!  But I'm learning about the peace that remains amidst uncertainty and the patience that takes each day as it comes.. confident to wait on my God, my Portion.  We have no idea of all that the future holds, but.. you guessed it, God knows!  And just like He has faithfully been doing throughout our entire lives, He simply calls us to live right now, embracing each moment, as He prepares us for what is to come.

1 comment:

  1. When I got to know DeDe, she told me that her whole life goal was to be a good wife and mother. And as you know, she achieved her goal with flying colors. You are a lot like your mom and are finding great satisfaction in mothering. You are a great wife for Derek and the perfect mother, God picked out for Owen. It was all meant to be from before time began and when you are doing what you're made to do, you can feel God's pleasure. Thanks for sharing your heart. We are so...proud of you and we miss you so much. It is great to know that all of our kids love kids and are finding their purpose not just in their occupation, but in their family and in their God. Love Love Dad
    I loved hearing your heart about being a mom. You remind me of myself when I started having children...I loved it. Watching each new phase and learning how to deal with different problems or struggles. Just remember you never have to carry anything all by yourself. God is right there beside you to help you through each phase and to help you enjoy it. It will pass too quickly...can't believe my first child is now 38. Wow! We are so...excited that you have tickets to come in March...Can't wait to see you all and cuddle little Owen...course he won't be too little by then. :) Enjoy every day. Love Love Love you Mom

    ReplyDelete